The Motor Vehicle Division is the office of record for all
vehicle/boat/motor lien entries and releases. The Divisions Lien Section may be
reached at (405) 521-3344. Most lien entry and release transactions may be competed at any
motor license agency.
- To record a security interest on a newly purchased vehicle or a vehicle changing
ownership, a secured party must complete and submit an Oklahoma lien entry form along
with the assigned Manufacturers Certificate of Origin (new vehicle) or title (used
vehicle). Upon payment of all applicable transfer taxes and fees, an Oklahoma
title will be issued to the record owner reflecting the perfected lien.
- The above lien filing procedure also applies when a lien is being perfected on a vehicle
that is not changing ownership. The lien filing fee is $10.00, in addition to the
title fee of $11.00 ($2.25 boats/outboard motors). A new Oklahoma title reflecting the
perfected lien will be issued to the record owner.
- For vehicles entering Oklahoma from another state, any lien reflected in the out of
state documentation will be carried forward to the Oklahoma title record. An Oklahoma lien
entry form will be prepared and sent to the lender. The fee for processing such a lien is
$13.00 (rather than the $10.00 fee referenced above).
- To release a lien, the lien holder must sign and date the release of lien
form (copy #3 and 4 of entry form). Mail copy #3 of Form 21
or copy #2 of Form 728, signed and dated, to the Oklahoma Tax
Commission, Post Office Box 53525, Oklahoma City, OK 73152. Mail
copy #4 of Form 21 or copy #3 of Form 728, signed and dated, to your
- When a lien release cannot be obtained, a notarized statement from the secured party may
be accepted. Refer to Lien Release
Affidavit Letter in the Forms
section of this site for downloadable instructions on this process.
Oklahoma Lien Entry
The lien entry form is not provided by the State. For a listing of printing companies
from which the form may be obtained, select Oklahoma Lien Entry Form
Sources from the Forms section
of this site.
The Oklahoma lien entry form is a prescribed, six (6) part form. It is comprised of the
- Master file copy for secured party, after processing of entry by the Motor Vehicle
Division (MVD) or a motor license agent (MLA).
- Copy for MLA to submit to MVD after processing of entry.
- Lien release for submission to MVD by secured party at time of release (must be signed
and dated by secured party representative).
- Lien release for submission to debtor by secured party at time of release (must be
signed and dated by secured party representative).
- MLA file copy.
- Debtor notice to register vehicle.
Oklahoma Computer Created Lien Entry Form MV-21
Effective July 1, 2004, a new vehicle lien filing
procedure is offered in the State of Oklahoma. The
completion of a revised lien entry form (MV-21A), specifically formatted for personal
computer entry, is an alternative to typing the current 6-copy Oklahoma Lien
Entry Form number 21.
The primary goal of the optional procedure is to provide a
more user friendly alternative to the current carbon copy lien entry form. A PC
generated entry form will allow faster and more accurate form presentation.
- The new process is optional and both it and the
Form 21 will continue to be accepted for vehicle lien filing purposes.
There is no change to the Form 21 lien entry process.
The new lien entry form (MV-21A) is available for
downloading from the Forms section
of the Motor Vehicle Information section of the Oklahoma Tax Commission
website or you may download the
- Any lien entry form which follows our template and
which includes all listed information will be acceptable. However,
noncomplying forms will be rejected.
Four (4) identical copies of the completed lien entry form
are to be generated by the lien filer: One (1) copy to be retained by the
secured party and three (3) copies to be submitted to the Oklahoma Tax
Commission (OTC), or the Motor License Agent (MLA), at time of lien filing. Of
the three (3) copies submitted to OTC/MLA: One (1) copy will be attached to the
titling documentation; One (1) copy will be sent to OTC along with a copy of the
lien fee receipt; and one (1) copy will be filed at the MLA's office.
When the lien is entered by OTC/MLA, one (1) copy of the
lien fee receipt and a four (4) part lien release form will be generated and
returned to the filer:
- One (1) copy of the lien fee receipt and one (1) copy
of the completed lien entry form is to be attached to the title documents and
surrendered to OTC/MLA, at time of titling.
- Upon satisfaction of the lien, copy two (2) of the
release is to be signed, dated and mailed to the Oklahoma Tax Commission/Motor
Vehicle Division, Post Office Box 53525, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73152. Copy
three (3) is to be signed, dated and mailed to your debtor.
- An Oklahoma lien entry form must be completed upon perfection of any vehicle/boat/motor
lien in Oklahoma.
- An Oklahoma lien entry form will be sent to any out of state lender reflected on out of
state ownership documentation submitted at the time of original Oklahoma title issuance
(refer to previous section).
- The lien entry form must be typed.
|© 2004 Oklahoma Tax Commission. All rights
|This page last modified
February 23, 2005.
|Questions regarding a motor vehicle issue, please
|Questions or comment regarding links or design,
please e-mail here.